Does anyone want to do a guest post on my blog?
I've been thinking about doing one on here for a while now....and if you want to, let me know! If you have an idea let me know what it is and we can go from there OR if you want to guest post but have no idea what to write about I have a few ideas on posts I would like to see.
comment or email me at kkrowan (at) gmail (dot) com
(I'm looking to do a few over the next few months!)
Friday, February 25, 2011
Does anyone want to do a guest post on my blog?
Posted by KK at 4:24 PM
Thursday, February 24, 2011
I've been back and forth a thousand times on if we are going to move or not. If you would have asked me just three short days ago, I would have told you that we were staying. I would have said it was too much hassle for something I wasn't sure about.
Then a few things happened...
1) I took my husband over to a friends house to show him what we would be moving into(after I spent the whole day there picturing where my stuff could go).
2) My neighbor got new neighbors. Not only did she hear them getting it on, but she was woken up every 2 hours when their baby cried. This is my WORST nightmare living in housing...both of those things. I don't need to hear peoples sex lives lived out in person. ICK!
So, I went into the office today and I think we are going to do this! We are waiting on a paper from the command, then we are golden! Kinda. I know what we want to move into and I'm willing to wait for it. We could be moving in 2 weeks or 2 months....either way I'm fine with it! The lady isn't going to waste my time showing me houses I'm not interested in and I'm %100 fine with that! It shouldn't be long till a house like the one we want opens up!
We decided to completely move ourselves. No movers. I'm going to do short runs of the stuff I can while Little is in school, then we have a bunch of boys coming to help pack out the big stuff! J is alright with all this since we aren't going to be spending $1,000 on movers. It's just going to be a lot of work, but I think it will be worth it when we are %100 happy for the next 2-3 years we are here!
Wish us luck!
Posted by KK at 10:15 PM
Monday, February 21, 2011
My book club(the BBC) just got done with another book! This month we read I Am Number Four.
Here is a little bit I found about the book.
Despite the amazing powers that many of the people of Lorien possess, the planet was defeated and its natural resources looted by Mogadorians in a matter of days. Only nine children escaped with their guardians to Earth, where they planned to hide until they developed their powers in order to defeat their enemies and revive Lorien. The Mogadorians hunt the Nine and have already killed three of them. And that's just the backstory. When Number Four, bearing the name "John Smith," moves to Paradise, OH, he runs afoul of the school bully, falls for the most beautiful girl in town, and befriends the local alien conspiracy nerd in short order. There is plenty of great action, but the dialogue is average, as is the character development. With its interesting premises and a fast-pace telling, the story will grab readers who are willing to suspend quite a bit of disbelief. Others, who like their science fiction with a bit more science and internal logic, will have to search elsewhere
I had high hopes for this book. Really high. It had been recomended to me by a few different people and I was excited to read it.
It was a let down.
What I liked:
The basis of the story was great!
It's different then other things out there right now
It kept me reading(for the most part)
What I disliked:
Under developed characters
Slow plot(in parts)
Undertones of "save the planet"
The book builds to the end(as all books seem to so), but it was a let down when you got there. I found myself being able to skim the pages IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CLIMAX OF THE BOOK! EEkkkk!
I feel like they could have done it a little better. BUT I have to admit my thoughts of the book might have a little to do with the Author. Does anyone remember the A Million Little Pieces by James Frey scandal? I do. For the most part, I don't let things like that cloud my judgement, but this did. Anyway, after reading this book, I found the autors name a little odd(even more so since it was used in the book!) so I looked it up. Come to find out Pitticus Lore is just James Freys pen name(probably because he's a dirt bag and knows no one wants to read his stuff).
If it weren't for the autor I think I would have given this book half a star more.....
I give it 3/5 stars.
Sunday, February 20, 2011
Posted by KK at 12:41 AM
Thursday, February 17, 2011
We have been in this house for 3 years. I'm getting a little antsy. We have been presented with the option to move. Not to another duty station, but to another house.
Here is the break down.
Here is a little about the house we live in now
*Lots of space(3 stories)
*LOTS of main living space
*3 stories(lots of climbing...and falling)
*Attached to other houses on both sides(even bedroom walls)
*1 1/2 bathrooms(works for us, but compared to the other house)
Now on to the other house
*Single family stand alone house!(NO attached walls!)
*Single story ranch
*Fenced in yard for Little and the dog
*2 full bathrooms(mater bath)
*We would lose main living space
*Lose storage space
*We would have to move a massive wood swing set. lol.
The biggest con.....we would have to move ourselves. Moving ourselves could cost anywhere between 400-1000(depending on how much of it we want to do ourselves).
Is it worth it for two more years? Should we just stay put and live with being connected to other people, and hope we get good new neighbors who aren't loud? I'm petrified of who is going to move in next!
The new house is right down the road so it wouldn't change anything like commute time or Littles school.
What would you do?
Posted by KK at 10:27 PM
Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Is Mrs. JCD! Yay!! I hope you love your new flag and it looks great on your new house!
(make sure I get your address so the flag can be sent to you!)
Posted by KK at 6:47 PM
Monday, February 14, 2011
Friday, February 11, 2011
Do you have pet-peeves about the blogs you read? I know I sure do! Even more so if I'm checking out the blog for the first time.
I've seen a few people blogging about this and I SOOOO agree! While I know my blog isn't perfect, I try to make it as user friendly as I can. I may post about books a little too much or my snark may not be some peoples taste. But, I'm me. And I love me!
Here are a few things I love to find when I check out a new blog!
* A face. I love it when people don't hide. I like to feel like reading your blog and commenting is making a connection with a real person. Fake names and no pictures sometimes make me wonder if the person is "real".
* I love when you are real in what you write. Everyone gets sad/mad. Don't be afraid to show it. We are all human(I think I need to listen to myself a little more on this one).
*I love when you have an assortment of things you post! I love reading crafty posts one day then about your family/life the next.
This list is a little bigger. Things I hate to see when reading a blog.....
* Lots of swearing. My husband said the best thing to me the other day when I was talking about swearing on facebook "Only psychopaths and unintelligent people cuss in type. smart people can think of a better way to express themselves". I NEVER get the urge to use the eff word on my blog. Ever. Call me a prude, but I think it really dumbs down my opinion on a person. I cansee a swear word here or there and I have a few that I will write sometimes....but the C word? NEVER!
* I HATE adds! I really hate the ones that pop up and you have to click on it to get anywhere! Most times it makes me close out the window and move on. I also hate the ones that are between EVERY post. I want to read your blog not know what Viagra does.
* I hate automatic song players. You see Little likes to play games or listen to music on the computer and because he's little, he doesn't turn it down. I get on here to read blogs and have quiet time.....not be scared out of my mind when some rock song starts playing louder then it needs to be heard. I x-out right away and don't come back for the day. Sorry. If you want a playlist, make it so they have to click on it to start it. I love hearing other peoples taste in music!
* I don't mind colored fonts AS LONG AS YOU LOOK AT YOUR BLOG to see if it looks alright. Back colored like THIS hurts my eyes. I don't know why you think it would look pretty. It doesn't
* Post with too many pictures get old quick, even more so when you don't explain them. I love picture posts and find that too many posts without pictures get on my nerves to. I'm hard to please I guess.
* 8-mile posts! If you say "and then" more then 5 times. You need to save some of it for another post. I'm all about rambling. It's how I get to the best conclusions! Seriously! But sometimes it's too much! Break it down. Post it over a few days if it was a huge thing!
* Comments saying follow me! No thanks, I'll pass.
* Word verification! I hate them! I hate going and writing out a nice comment just to guess what some random words are. It makes leaving comments so hard. If you worry about spam, in the almost 3 years I've been blogging I've never once had a spam comment! No, I take that back, it was "spam" but from a real live person who could type in the word verification. So I don't use it and it's been fine!
* My new gripe is when all people post about is awards they've gotten, blog hops, fill-in the whatever or guest posts. It's just not the type of stuff I want to read. At all.
Sorry for the whiny posts. If I get it out I can move on!
Do you have any blog pet-peeves I didn't mention?
Posted by KK at 9:51 PM
My blog address is changing over! You should be redirected, but if not, know that I didn't mean to lose you!
It's switching over to www.sinkorswimblog.com
Easy enough, right?
Posted by KK at 8:54 PM
Thursday, February 10, 2011
I feel like I don't have much to blog about. All that I have to blog about isn't on the happy side...it's on the "whiny military wife" side. So if you don't want to hear it, move on.
I'm not a complainer. Really, I'm not. Ask my family or ask my friends. I seem to be a "glass half-full" kinda gal. But not this week. This week, I'm sad.
This is the first station we have even been at for more than a year. With this comes knowing people for more than a year. With that comes them leaving. My neighbor and best friend for the past three years moves today. I'm heartbroken. She's been everything to me since we met. My photographer, my foodie, my late night vent sessions and all around just best friend. I've never had someone I'd been friends with so long leave me. Ever. I've know people for a year tops before they left. Not three. I know this comes with the military life, it's just one of the things I had stayed away from. I hate goodbyes. I had to watch her say goodbye to Little this morning and I was choking back tears the whole time. Now, when I should be over there saying my goodbye, I'm hiding in my house writing this, hoping I can get it out before I see her for the last time......because no one likes a baby.
Posted by KK at 9:31 AM
Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Posted by KK at 2:36 PM
Monday, February 7, 2011
Hello! I've been saying that I was going to do a giveaway and since the weather is nicer(and I can come and go as I please(to places like the post office)) I thought I would do it today!
I was contacted by CVS Flags and they offered to give one lucky person a Flag! I'm so excited!
Here is a little snip-it of what was e-mailed to me.
"CVS is a wholesale flag distributor that has been around for over 30 years. In addition to great customer service, all of the flags are made right here in the USA."
I love that they make all of the flags here in the US and I'm all for everyone flying a flag for our country!
You can pick an America Flag or a Military Flag. You can pick a 3x5 or 2x3 flag (whichever you prefer).
They have a huge selections of flags! Even flags for your favorite sports team!(yes, if you clicked on that I did in fact, send you to the Eagles Flags....I can't help it!).
It's a really amazing company and they have the sweetest people working for them. So, even if you don't win, please go take a look and think about supporting them. (They even ship to APO addresses!).
Enough with that end of it...here comes the fun!
To enter leave me a comment for each of the following(separate comments, each comment gets you an entry!)
*Go take a look at the site and let me know what flag you would like.
*Become a follower or tell me that you already are one(don't lie...I will find you)
*Post about it on your blog and link back here!
That's three different entries you can get for an amazing flag! You have one week from today to have all your comments in and I will pick a random winner next Tuesday!
I LOVE blog hops, it's a great way to find new blogs and find people who you connect with. Military ones are the best, since I love finding people who "get" what I'm going through in the crazy life.
If you want to join in, head on over and link up!
To those coming over to my blog from the hop, welcome! I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I enjoy writing it.
Saturday, February 5, 2011
Friday, February 4, 2011
So far, I have read two books! I'm trying to read 2 month until I'm done....so we will see if I can do it!
First I'm reading all the books that I have the movie versions of and watching the movies when I'm done with them! It's fun for me to see whats different about them, so I'm going to add what I likes/disliked about the difference! Don't read if you don't want spoilers!
A Walk to Remember:
I LOVE this movie and books. It's one of the first DVD's I owned. Haha. The book and movie are a lot alike. Here are the biggest differences:
*In the book the orphanage was a main part of Jamie's life, not so much in the movie.
*The whole "Money in the jar" thing wasn't in the movie at all and it was such a sweet part of the book.
*Landon's(no we did not get Little's name from this book/movie) Dad had a whole other part in the movie. I like the movie way a little better.
*The year of the movies was way off. Which made things a little different.
*Landon's roll in the play was for way different reasons.
I love this book. As with all NS books, it has a sad ending. I do have to say that that's maybe why I love reading his books. They aren't always perfect. It's not always a fairytale, but you will have learned something by reading it. This one taught you that love can come in any shape and size and sometimes when you're not expecting it, but it will take you over.
All in all I loved the book and I loved reading it again! I would give it 4/5 stars total!
The Last Song:
*Ronnie's image in the movie is a little "less hard" than in the book.
*The way people thought the fire started was different(I hated everyone thinking her dad did it!)
*Marcus was less creepy in the movie.
I loved them both. Not as many big differences in the movie but I think that's because it was done different. The Last Song was written as a screenplay before it was a book. Miley Cyrus had expressed interest in doing one of his "teen" movies, so he wrote this for her to play Ronnie. Then went back and wrote the book(or did he do them at the same time?).
I again would give this one 4/5 stars!
Thursday, February 3, 2011