Sunday, October 7, 2012

If only Cancer were just a horoscope sign....

I've been debating on talking about this for a while now and since it's too hard for me to talk about in real life, I figured this might be the way to get it all out.

As some of you know, we lost my sister to cancer almost five years ago. It was devastating. We found out and two years later, she was gone. Leaving behind a husband and two little kids.

I was living across the country but was able to make it home in time to see her before she passed and was in the room with her, in my parents home, when she took her last breath.

Years later, my family still has not healed. We ache for our loss. My niece started high school this year and watching her grow and morph into an exact picture of her mother makes my heart hurt for her. She was only eight when she said goodbye to her mom and now is the time she would need her the most.

This story leads to this year. About a month ago my Father had his yearly physical come back abnormal. Levels were high. Things weren't right. A few weeks ago he went in for a biopsy. They confirmed the worst. Once again, our family would battle cancer. On a scale of 1-10 his is a 7. While they didn't give him an expiration date like they did my sister, our faith in cancer healing is slim. The doctors are confident that they can beat this. Surgery will take place in 3 weeks and from there we hope for the best. Surgery will change my parents lives forever. While he might be cancer free, things will be different. You can't just remove a body organ and go on as normal.

I don't know where to go from here. I feel lost. I can't lose another.

5 comments:

Mrs. B said...

Hugs hunnie! I feel absolutely horrible that you and your family have to face this again. You all will be in my prayers. If you EVER need to vent/talk/cry you know I'm a phone call away! xoxo

Tammi P. said...

My Husband was diagnosed with Cancer in January 2012. When we found out my world was shaken because my husband's father had the same type of cancer and due to treatments and complications ended up passing away when my husband was only 10 years old. My world was shaken and I felt like history was going to repeat itself with our kids.
After 9 long weeks of intense Chemotherapy my husband was told in May he was cancer free. Each day we get further away from his treatments I see Jared getting stronger and daily returning back to his old self. Battling cancer is hard and takes its toll not just on the person with it but the whole family. I will pray for your family as you guys step out for this battle that your family will find healing, wisdom and comfort. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

Tammi P. said...

My Husband was diagnosed with Cancer in January 2012. When we found out my world was shaken because my husband's father had the same type of cancer and due to treatments and complications ended up passing away when my husband was only 10 years old. My world was shaken and I felt like history was going to repeat itself with our kids.
After 9 long weeks of intense Chemotherapy my husband was told in May he was cancer free. Each day we get further away from his treatments I see Jared getting stronger and daily returning back to his old self. Battling cancer is hard and takes its toll not just on the person with it but the whole family. I will pray for your family as you guys step out for this battle that your family will find healing, wisdom and comfort.

-J.D. Humenay said...

Hang in there chika. I survived what was about to become stage 1 ovarian cancer because I didn't listen to the first doc who said "nothing's wrong". And you're right. Removing an organ changes your life. Changed mine, and it was just a superfluous ovary.
My dad is currently fighting pancreatic cancer (stage 4). They gave him 6-11months to live. That was 8 months ago. I'm happy to report that he's doing amazingly well, at the moment. I honestly don't know what my mom will do without him. They've been married for 41 years.
My dad's brother, however, is not doing so well. A reoccurance of Prostate cancer (which, nowadays, is almost completely curable) came back and metastized to his bones. So we're enjoying the time we have with him while we can.
If you ever need to chat, feel free to throw me a message and track me down on facebook (Jay Humenay).
One thing a wise friend once told me - When we truly lose someone we love, it never stops hurting. It just hurts less often. Sounds like your sister left behind some amazing kids, who are surrounded by family that love then. While there is never a "good" time for a parent to leave a child's life, I can't think of a better peace of mind for a mother than knowing her children are in good hands.

Michelle D. said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. No two experiences are ever the same, but I will be sending you and your family all the positive thoughts that I possibly can.

Stay strong.