Thursday, February 10, 2011

So long, my friend.

I feel like I don't have much to blog about. All that I have to blog about isn't on the happy side...it's on the "whiny military wife" side. So if you don't want to hear it, move on.

I'm not a complainer. Really, I'm not. Ask my family or ask my friends. I seem to be a "glass half-full" kinda gal. But not this week. This week, I'm sad.

This is the first station we have even been at for more than a year. With this comes knowing people for more than a year. With that comes them leaving. My neighbor and best friend for the past three years moves today. I'm heartbroken. She's been everything to me since we met. My photographer, my foodie, my late night vent sessions and all around just best friend. I've never had someone I'd been friends with so long leave me. Ever. I've know people for a year tops before they left. Not three. I know this comes with the military life, it's just one of the things I had stayed away from. I hate goodbyes. I had to watch her say goodbye to Little this morning and I was choking back tears the whole time. Now, when I should be over there saying my goodbye, I'm hiding in my house writing this, hoping I can get it out before I see her for the last time......because no one likes a baby.


We say we will keep in touch. Is it true? Do people really do that? Or do they cut their losses and move on to new friends in their new places? Is it bad that I don't want to make new friends? I just want to bide my time until we leave to, then start all over. See!?!?! This is sooooo not me! But I'm sad and I'm going to miss her.  We've shared our walls and our lives for three years. In a few months new persons will move into a house that holds all the memories I have now. I will be nice and say hello, but I don't want new neighbors. I want the people who were supposed to leave AFTER us to still be here. I wanted  to leave first.....it's so much easier that way.

I need to suck it up. I've been in denial about her leaving for weeks now. I should have spent quality time with her...but I didn't. I couldn't. It hurt too bad. I think by the time she gets settled I will send her a package. One that I should have given her before she left....but getting it in her new house would be nice to.

I will leave you with these pictures. They were taken almost three years ago. It was our first photo session and one of the funnest by far. Thank you to the random lady on the beach who was nice enough to take a picture of the three of us. It's the only one we have.

5 comments:

Jenn Rice said...

{{{HUGS}}}}


People moving away sucks. It's the one aspect of military life I hate.

Turtle Runner said...

"We say we will keep in touch. Is it true? Do people really do that?" It depends on the relationship, but yes, people do keep in touch. My best friend of nineteen years and I still keep in touch constantly. We hate the phone, so we write letters, and it's not an exchange of letters where I wait for her to write before I write back, instead we just write and send when we feel like it. We're stationed in a tiny town far away from most of my close friends and all of my family, and we all still keep in touch. It takes effort, but it does happen. :)

Michelle D. said...

I hate good byes. That's why I normally say 'Until we meet again.' Believe it or not, it's a small Navy. At some point in time you guys will run into each other. I've got a friend that I met 10 years ago that I'm still buddies with. I've moved and come back and we always kept in touch. So it does depend on your relationship. I'm sure you will keep in touch if you both want to. It's hard, but you can get through this. Stay strong.

Jen said...

AWWW! ::HUGGS:: It is hard, but You'll always have the friendship you created with each other!! And perhaps what you learned by being such good friends with her will help you be an even better friend to your new neighbor!

Merphine said...

my dental school friends and i were close for 4 full years - we saw each other almost every single day during that time. we spent our friday nights together, our saturdays, we even went grocery shopping together. when all three of them moved to different cities (all at least 5 hours away) i was heartbroken. we promised to keep in touch - and while it's been a challenge for all of us, it's not as bad as you would think. i've been able to visit two of them, and i chat with them on the phone at least once every three weeks - i know that sounds like so little, but it feels special when you get a chance to talk. ;-) life keeps you busy, too! good luck!!! :-)