Monday, February 14, 2011

My Valentine.

I was 14 and a freshman in highschool when J and I met. He was a year older then me and had gone to a different middle school, so I had no idea who he was. We were on a bus headed to a basketball tournament and my cell phone wasn't working. He offered to help me.

He was quiet and didn't say much. We ended up writing back and forth on my phone(in the days before texting. lol). All I remember thinking is "Not only is he CUTE, but he's nice to!". We ended up sitting together the next few days on the way to the games.  The last day I couldn't make it since I had a dance competition. He found me at school the next Monday and told me he was mad I ditched him and told me that I owed him.  At some point a note was passed that had my number in it. It took him a few days to get the guts to call. But he did. While talking he reminded me that I owed him. When asked what he wanted all he said was "Just you". That was it. I was his.

We spent all of our days together. Normal high school stuff. He walked me to and from all of my classes, I wore his varsity jacket, I went to all his games and meets and we were together every weekend. It was perfect.

This is our very first picture together! I think we had been together 3-4 months?

We even went to all of the dances together.(and were always matching perfectly, I might add!)

We dated all of high school. At times I think I could have been a little bit nicer to him but what teenage girl doesn't have mood swings!? I loved him and I knew I did. My mom told me once while she was driving me to school when I was 16 "You need to treat that boy nice, Kimberly. You're going to marry him someday". I knew she was right.

When we were 17 he bought me a promise ring for Christmas. I loved it. I loved that when he gave it to me he told me that he loved me more then he ever knew possible and that one day he would make me his wife.

And that he did.

He proposed to me on a picnic(hence where our love for them really comes from) on a chilly day at our favorite beach on the Island. It was perfect. I cried and said yes and all he could do was smile.

We were married that June.

Saying "I Do".

A few months later he decided to join the navy. It was the first time we had ever been apart for more then a few days. I had never known what pain was until that time. I'd never felt heartbreak. But that was it. My heart broke for him. He came back a new man. A better man. I never knew what we had could be better, but it was.

2011 marks 10 years together for us(the end of 2011, but 2011 none the less). I fall more and more in love with him everyday. We aren't perfect, but we try our best. I love him with all that I have and I know he does the same. I never thought this would be our lives. The navy life. But it is, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. 


Today on Valentines Day, from under the Sea, I know he's thinking about me as much as I am him.

4 comments:

mrs. jcd said...

That is such a sweet love story!

Anonymous said...

Awww! I deff had a cuddle moment right there! It sounds like a fairy tale! I know what you mean about them thinking about us, I got flowers from Afghan yesterday too

Anonymous said...

I love your story...it is amazing what the Navy Life can do for your fmaily if you let it. We have been in the navy for 23 years. My hubby is on his 5th delpoyment to overseas. The time apart is hard but it has made us much stronger as a couple. Best wishes in you married life together and in the Navy.
Kathy

Jo said...

You have a sweet love story! I was married young too. I was 19 and he was 21. It will be nine years for us this year...and now, at age 30, my husband is thinking about joining the navy (in Canada).

It must have been such a hard decision for you both.